Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Windmill Blue" - Daily #2

"Windmill Blue", oil on panel, 6 x 8 inches
SOLD
This is my second 'Daily' painting and I have to admit, I'm really enjoying this.  I'm also
coming away with a renewed respect and admiration for 'alla prima' painters - painting a painting in 'one go'.    My usual approach is a 'direct' one; working without a drawing and with a large brush.  But, I like to build my paintings and often work on a dry surface.   Painting wet-in-wet until the painting is entirely complete is a new experience for me!   I won't lie...it was tough for me.  I wanted to leave areas til the next day knowing that I can build on the day's work.  It was tiring, knowing that each brush stroke was a final statement. 

To add to the excitement I was painting on a new surface.  Those that know me know how fussy I am about the surfaces that I paint on, making my own canvases, often from scratch, on oil primed belgian linen.   This 'Daily' is painted on a 6 x 8 inch  "Panelli" wooden panel.   You can see from the photo that it is primed with an acrylic gesso and it has an unusual finish.  Much like one would get from a roller when painting a wall.   It was unusual, but fun.

I'm hooked on these little paintings!   What fun!   I've signed it so it's done....no messing with it tomorrow.  This is what 'Daily' painting is about.

Tomorrow is a new day ... and another 'Daily Painting'.... hope you check back to see how I spend my day!

You can click on the images here and enlarge the photo.  Keep in mind that, depending on the size of your computer screen, these are very little paintings so you'll most likely be looking at an image much larger than the original!   (to get back to the blog, click on the 'back' arrow) 


No comments:

Post a Comment