Saturday, January 23, 2010

"Two and A Half Shallots"- Daily #3

"Two and A Half Shallots", oil on linen panel, 4 1/4 x 9 inches
SOLD

I'm flying by the seat of my pants but seem to be getting into a rhythm with my "Dailies".   Began this unusual formatted painting but wasn't able to finish it in one day.  I'll admit, it was a little ambitious, for me, for  a 'daily', but I was so excited to use this little panel, I couldn't resist the challenge.  

The past few days our usually bright blue and sunny skies were obliterated by early morning fog that hung around all day long.   Still around today and makes for a very gloomy studio for me.   I paint from life under the north-lit windows of my studio, so as a result, on gloomy days like these it tends to make the painting day a little shorter.  I did manage to put the finishing touches on "Two and A Half Shallots" on the second day, in no time at all.

This 'Daily' is painted on linen  mounted on panel.   I make the majority of the panels myself, with the exception of the "Panelli" panel I used in my last daily painting.    The little panels I make myself are either made from masonite or mdf board which I have cut to size and then apply a few coats of acrylic primer or often I will glue to the surface scraps of my oil primed Belgian linen.  I make my larger canvases from scratch using Belgian linen that is primed with oil lead primer, which I do myself.  You can see a demo of  the process for making oil primed linen on my demonstration blog here as well as demos of dailies I painted a number of years ago. 

I should mention that not all the paintings posted to my blogs are 'Dailies'....I also post my gallery paintings, which are larger, on the site as well.

Hope you're enjoying them as much as I am painting them!  Please write or comment, I'd love to hear from you.....


No comments:

Post a Comment