Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Painting "Dailies" #1


Daily #1
oil on linen on panel,  5 1/4 x 6 3/4 inches
This painting is available for purchase at Art Country Canada Gallery

Recently I've been preparing for my next workshop, "Painting Dailies".   While planning the workshop I've experienced a renewed excitement for these miniature masterpieces.   Yesterday I could hardly wait to get to my studio to paint a 'Daily' again; it's been awhile.   Here is the finished painting, untitled at this point.     It is so satisfying to paint these tiny gems... and even more fun to share it with you.

I don't have a formula when painting a 'daily', it really depends on what other pieces I'm working on and how much time I have.  When I was regularly painting them several years ago, I aimed at painting one 'Daily' per week while I was working on larger gallery pieces. This seemed to work best for me at the time.

Yesterday I began this one and painted it alla prima (all in one go) in a few hours.  Tomorrow I hope to have a new one to post for you. 

Artists around the world have been smitten by the 'Daily Painting' bug, inspired by the father of the 'Painting A Day'  movement (PAD), American artist, Duane Keiser .  There are no rules in daily painting...no daily painting 'police' out there telling you that you must complete a painting today or even this week.   But I can't think of a more fun way to rapidly improve skills, create discipline and keep your work fresh.

Typically, 'Dailies' are painting in the following sizes: 6x8, 5x7, 5x5, 6x6 and other odd small sizes. 

I'm really looking forward to my 'Dailies' workshop.  The date is February 27th and 28th, 2010 and there are still a few spaces open - class size max 6-7 students.

No comments:

Post a Comment