Saturday, October 3, 2009

Painting News....

"Relic Ride and Roses", oil on Belgian linen, 20x24

As a child I would spend hours drawing horses, dogs and people. These were my favourite subjects of all and I never grew tired of them. Many years later, horses were often the subject of my paintings, as were cows, dogs, kittens and the people in my life. Growing up in a rural farm setting in Saskatchewan, it turned out it was natural for me to paint these subjects. My Dad raised a few horses, restored and drove his collection of buggies and he passed along to me his love for the country life and animals. It's been a number of years since I've painted those pastoral scenes of the farm that I loved so much. I am so happy that I did, because the farm is no longer there. Painting this sculpture of a relic horse was a pleasant reminder for me, and while not the real thing, it dropped me into a huge pleasure pool of reminiscences.

No comments:

Post a Comment