Friday, May 29, 2009

"Turkish Urn with Oranges" and Demonstration

"Turkish Urn with Oranges" - oil on Belgian linen, 22x26

This is a photo of my most recent large painting. After discovering this weather worn Turkish urn in a market several months ago, it was simply a matter of time til it won a place of honour in one of my still life paintings. I was looking for a minimalistic concept, in keeping with the functional, utilitarian nature of the urn. No frills. Nothing to take away from its faded, but once beautiful, facade. Toward that end, I used a fairly limited palette. As you can see, it is very much about earthy yellows, oranges and greens. This limited use of colour - or non-colour - serves to enhance the miniature china cup with its lovely blue painted windmill pattern. My small tribute to Rembrandt. I purchased this cup on our trip to Amsterdam last spring, to visit Rembrandt's home and studio, as well as the Rijksmuseum.

DEMONSTRATION:

I have photographed the stages while painting this and plan to post it very soon in my demonstration blog at Dunlop Demonstrations Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment