Tuesday, November 10, 2015

"TEACUP #7"

"Teacup #7", oil on panel, 6x6 inches by Bobbi Dunlop


SOLD

Many years ago I painted this lovely blue teacup in a watercolour  painting ... I really enjoyed  exploring the vibrant colour as I painted it from life, in oil, once again.

Painting "Dailies" is something I've returned to a number of times over the years since my first venture into Daily Painting in 2007.  Personally, I find it an irresistible way to explore and experiment with new ideas.  Plus, it gives me so much pleasure to bring these little gems to life and  to see them lined up in my studio along my studio shelves. 

So many artists today are exploring this phenomenon of 'painting daily' and there is no 'one-size-fits-all' approach to it, which  makes it all the more appealing for anyone who wants to add their personal stamp to the fun.

Artists jump into the fray for a variety of reasons;  ultimately, the ideal purpose is one of 'artistic growth'.  The small size of 'dailies' provides a means for an artist to start a painting and bring it to completion -  frequently.  It's an opportunity to experiment, take chances and have fun - all while moving toward a unique and personal artistic vision.

My habit is to "rough in" a painted sketch or "mass-in" of the teacup on my small hand-made panels.  This mass-in is simply and loosely done, not worrying about detail - just putting my teacup into its own little space on the square panel, the purpose being to develop a very simple abstract design and a concept for my painting. 

Often I will do a rough-in of several teacup paintings at a time as it takes mere  minutes to accomplish this. Overnight, the initial painted block-in dries and this is when I begin to apply colour.  I like to work this way because having a dry, fixed design to work on allows me to concentrate on paint and texture with my brush, not worrying about disturbing that underlying concept/design.  Having a concept or idea firmly in  mind enables me to work toward that goal or finished painting right from the first brush mark.

In my previous post, "Teacup #6" you will find a short step-by-step of the process I've described here.  I will post more in the posts come.

My upcoming 1-Day workshop "Painting the Still-Life, from Life" is an opportunity to take this idea of developing a concept further, in a larger format.  I hope you'll join me.  You can find a description and schedule of my workshops on the "Workshop" link on my website.





2 comments: