Sunday, August 19, 2007

Preparing Canvases in my studio.....


It's been awhile since I've posted a new 'Daily Painting' .... as a full-time painter, it was always my desire to paint one little masterpiece each week, while working on my larger works. But, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way and here's one of the reasons why. I am one of those hands-on artists who savours every part of this creative process. I guess it's because it is so satisfying to be able to work with one's hands, be it carpentry, gardening or whatever. I have always built my own canvases and keep an assortment of different sized stretcher bars on hand at all times. I give my oil primed canvases another coat of lead primer so that I have my surfaces just the way I like them. Recently, my friend, artist Lisa Humes, visited me from Florida and brought with her some incredibly beautiful Utrecht raw linen as a gift. So, this weekend was spent not only stretching the raw linen onto stretcher bars, but preparing the supports with rabbit skin glue before priming them with an oil based primer. The photo above shows the process of applying rsg. After two coats of this over a few days, I will then prime the surface with oil lead primer, again preparing the surface to my idea of perfection. It's necessary to wait for a few weeks to paint on them, but it's so worth it. Please check my 'Dunlop Demonstrations' site to see the stages...hope to post them soon, as I do them. In addition to building these canvases, I've also been busy building my new website Bobbi Dunlop Fine Art Please visit if you haven't yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment